Essentials Level 1: For RMT’s and Myotherapists (2 days)
If you are seeking to expand your clinical skill set and clinical outcomes then our GEMt Essentials Dry Needling Program is exactly what you need.
This course will not only teach you how to dry needle but will update your anatomy and challenge your thinking on common and chronic clinical presentations.
The GEMT approach to Dry Needling is unique in that it combines the best of several models to obtain optimal patient outcomes.
Clinicians around the globe are flocking to this technique as they find it improves their clinical outcomes AND saves their achy wrists and thumbs!
Applicable for a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including chronic pain and sporting injuries.
These modules have been put together specifically for Myotherapists and RMT’s wishing to expand their skills in Trigger Point assessment and treatment. There is an online theory component, followed by a large practical component, with plenty of supervision.
Our promise to you is that you will feel confident and competent to start dry needling on Monday morning!
- Define trigger points, motor banding, and neurological presentations of neuromuscular dysfunction
- Review literature supporting efficacy and treatment rationale of TDN
- Instruct application of TDN for orthopedic and neuromuscular conditions
- Review anatomy of regions to be taught in the Dry Needling Essentials course
- Discuss safety
- Discuss indications and contraindications for treatment
Treatable Muscles After Completion
- The Hip- Glute Max, Med and Min
- Lumbar Spine- Longissimus and Iliocostalis
- Anterior Thigh- Vastus Lateralis & Medialis, Rectus Femoris and Adductor Longus
- Shoulder- Infraspinatus, Teres Minor & Major, Deltoid and Lat Dorsi
- Cervical Spine- Upper Traps and Nuchal Lines
- Upper Extremity- Brachioradialis, Extensor Carpi Radialis Longus & Brevis
- Lower Extremity- Gastrocnemius and Soleus
Online Learning Modules
GEMt dry needling courses begin with online modules for safety, theory, and anatomy. Access to the online learning platform is provided via email once you have completed course registration. Completion of the online modules is a requirements before attending the course, and you should allow sufficient time to complete them before the course starts.
Module 1: Safety involving:
- Safety Section from the GEMt manual
- 6 articles
- Safety Guidelines
- Safety Video (23 mins)
- Needling Demonstration Video (27 mins)
- Theory test (up to 1 hour)
Total = 4 hours
Module 2: Theory involving
- 10 articles
- GEMt pain slides
- Needle Theory Video (1 hour, 15 mins)
- Neuro-myofascial Pain Video (19 mins)
- Theory test (up to 1.5 hours)
Total = 5-6 hours
Module 3: Anatomy involving
- Anatomy slides of all muscles covered in course
- Video detailing Upper Limb and Lower Limb Assessment (15 mins)
- Anatomy Theory test (up to 1 hour)
Total = 4 hours
Total all online modules approx. 13-14 hours
- Diploma of Remedial Massage (HLT50307, HLT52015 or equivalent).
- Advanced diploma of Clinical Myotherapy
- You must be a registered clinician with Professional Indemnity Insurance to enter this course
- Course participants are required to act as subjects as required for the duration of the course.
- This course is not advisable for anyone who is pregnant (unless they are prepared to bring a friend willing to be needled on their behalf)
- Hours: Online = 13.5, Face to Face = 14
- Total = 60 hours for the Essentials Program involving Levels 1-3
- Myotherapy Association of Australia Accredited Course for up to 20 CPD points per annum (1 pd point per hour)
- Endorsed by Massage and Myotherapy Australia for 20 CPE points (for level 1,2 & 3 combined)
- Massage Association of Australia Accredited Course for up to 20 CPE points per annum (1 CPE point per hour)
Refunds, Transfers & Credits
If a course is cancelled for any reason by GEMt then as much notice as possible will be given to course participants. In this instance, course fees only will be returned in full as soon as possible. For International courses, GEMt accepts and refunds course fees in AUD. We are not accountable for fluctuations in exchange rates. NB. GEMt is not liable nor responsible for any other out of pocket expenses incurred by registrants due to course cancellations or venue changes; this may include flights, accommodation or bank fees on financial transfers.
Regions are defined as:
- Australia / New Zealand
Transfers within the same region:
If you wish to transfer to another GEMt course within the same region, the following fees will be incurred:
- Outside of 30 days of course commencement = FREE transfer to the requested course
- Under 30 days of course commencement = 25% administration charge
Transfers between regions incur the following charges:
- Outside of 30 days of course commencement = 25% administration charge
- Under 30 days of course commencement = 50% administration charge
- Outside 30 days of course commencement = 25% administration charge
- Under 30 days of course commencement = 75% administration charge
- Under 14 days of course commencement = 100% administration charge, i.e. no refund
Inability to Participate in needling.
- If for any reason a course participant is unable to take needles for the duration of the course e.g. Pregnancy / Religion / Needle Phobic/ Metal allergies… arrangements must be made to bring a friend along to take needles in their place.
- There will be costs involved to cover all catering and prior contact must be made to course co-ordinator at time of registration to arrange such payment.
Those Clinicians that have done other courses
- If you have already completed another dry needling course, you are entitled to a 50% discount on the full course fee on Australian held courses. (Not available for Essentials, Upper Limb, Lower Limb or guest courses)
Tickets:Early Bird RateClosedStandard Rate$391
Tue, 22 February 2022
Lecture and Hands-on
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills
359 Crown St, Surry Hills,
Brandon has been employed at Sandringham Sports Physio (SSP) since 2004. He has established himself as a Senior Physiotherapist and is the current Operations Manager at this facility.
Brandon has been extensively utilising Dry Needling during this time and has successfully completed the accredited GEMt Introductory and Advanced courses.
Brandon has worked with the successful Sandringham Football Club since 2005 and is involved in mentoring staff at SSP.
Brandon has travelled as an instructor for GEMt since 2008.
Robert De Nardis
Director & Principal Presenter
Robert De Nardis is an experienced practicing Melbourne Physiotherapist who received certification for dry needling from The Institute for the Study and Treatment of Pain (iSTOP) in Vancouver, British Columbia and has extensively utilised IMS/trigger point dry needling in his clinical practice in Melbourne, Australia.
Robert has an extensive background in two defined areas.
Firstly, as the Director of Sandringham Sports Physio, he has been involved with sporting athletes and teams at all levels, inclusive of the Sandringham Football Club (VFL) and the Melbourne United Basketball Club (NBL).
Secondly, as the Director of the Melbourne Whiplash Centre, Robert has been actively engaged in Whiplash evaluation, treatment and research since 1998. Robert’s paper with Dr Jenny Keating published in the Journal of Whiplash and Related Disorders Vol 4 (1) 2005 reveals some of the world’s best outcome results published for chronic neck pain.
Robert is a recognised expert in the field of cervical spine rehabilitation, having served as a panel member of the International Whiplash Task Force. Robert has also consulted for the UK Airforce, Fast Jet Fighter Pilot Program.