Mentalizing is one of the most taken-for-granted, least distinctive phenomena that might occur in our day-to-day lives, and more relevantly, in our therapeutic conversations. When it’s happening well, we relate to ourselves and others flexibly and creatively, human behaviours appear predictable, and making meaning in our lives is possible…and when it is absent, well…you get the picture.
In personality disorders, the capacity to mentalize has been shown through numerous studies to be compromised. Mentalising Based Treatment (MBT) was developed by Peter Fonagy and Anthony Bateman, to treat this deficit in some of the most vulnerable individuals. We will be exploring this necessary capacity and MBT, and you’ll get a chance to understand / build and encourage interventions that aim to strengthen this capacity in your clinical work.
Learning Objectives of This Training:
- Participants will learn about the origins of mentalizing in human development.
- Participants will learn the links between the capacity to mentalize and attachment security.
- Participants will learn about Borderline Personality Disorder as an example of significant mentalizing deficit.
- How to spot breakdown in mentalizing in clinical conversations.
- How to encourage mentalizing using hierarchy approach.
- Roleplay Basic stance or watch mentalizing in practice discussing case presentation.
How Will you Benefit From This Training?
- Participants will develop a skill they already have - and supercharge it.
- Participants will deepen their understanding of attachment and its importance to clinical work.
- Participants will be encouraged to apply this approach to their own models and ways of working… to build on strength.
- The etiology of Borderline Personality Disorder and its relevance to mentalizing
- What mentalizing is; characteristics / multiple dimensions / related concepts
- BPD, attachment disorganization and difficulties in social learning
- What happens when attachment is non-secure? “When mentalizing falls away”.
- Identifying non-mentalizing in practice: types of non-mentalizing.
- Assessing clinical problems as “mentalizing problems”
- The MBT stance
- A mentalizing hierarchy of activities.
- Role Play / or watching video material to watch the stance in action
Evaluation and Quiz - your payment includes a quiz which when completed with a minimum of 80% correct answers, will enable you to download your Attendance Certificate.
This presentation is intended for clinicians working in mental health who have had at least 12 months full time experience following graduation, as a case manager, counsellor, psychotherapist or psychologist. The material is intended to provide an introduction to the theory and clinical practice of MBT and will draw on participants ability to use basic counselling skills.
Note this e-course is not hosted on Nexlec and users can click the "Select" button to be directed to the course page.
Cancellation Policy and Disclaimer
Refunds less a $50.00 administration fee are given for cancellations received in writing via email or post. Cancellations must be received no later than 10 days prior to your event date. Refunds and transfers are not possible inside 10 days from the event. Cancellation policy is final and not negotiable.
PDP regrets the difficult personal circumstances that prevent people attending including medical conditions, emergencies, severe weather or transport difficulties and we do not issue refunds in any circumstance other than those outlined in this cancellation policy. PDP is unable to accept responsibility for the failure of the presenter to arrive due to unforeseen circumstances.
Transfer of Registration to Another Person
Registrations are transferable IN FULL to another person on notification in writing to PDP and no admin fees are charged for this service. Where a delegate can only attend for part of a training, transfer of the remainder of the registration to another person is NOT possible.
Cancellation/Reschedule of an Event by PDP
PDP will contact you within 10 days of the event date on the rare occasion that we need to cancel/reschedule an event. You will be offered the following options:
- A full refund of your paid registration fee.
- Transfer of your registration into another equivalent event on our calendar.
Please contact the Provider directly or follow the ticket selection button to the Course Provider Website for full terms and conditions.
Lecture and Assessment
BPsych PGDip Psych MPsych MRes Adv Dip Psychotherapy
John Butters is a Counselling Psychologist with specialist endorsement through AHPRA. He has worked as a psychologist since 2000, in both psychiatric and community health settings where he has coordinated a DBT outpatient programs, provided individual psychotherapy and clinical supervision. He has taught a variety of short courses for training organisations and professional bodies including Think Education, Karitarne, AABCAP, CASPC, to name a few. He works in Pyrmont and Crows Nest providing treatment and supervision.