This practical, interactive workshop provides a blueprint for building effective learning environments, resulting in direct positive outcomes for learners. Through lecture, video example, discussion, and activities, participants will understand the rationale for implementing each of the nine elements of the Pyramid Approach (hyperlink) as well as how to apply the information in a myriad of settings. The “why” of learning and the “how” of teaching are described using the three dimensional shape of the pyramid, which symbolizes an integrated and interactive framework for teaching. This workshop will guide professionals, parents, caretakers, and teams in designing an effective program. Participants will leave this workshop with many new tools to add to their “teaching toolkit” and empowered with the knowledge of how to apply them in each individual situation.
There will be BACB CEUs for Behaviour Analysts for this course through Donna.
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Functional Activities
- Creating opportunities for learning
- Identifying and using reinforcement strategies
- Identifying functional communication skills
- Defining contextually inappropriate behaviors and finding alternatives
- Teaching techniques (prompts, shaping)
- Minimizing and Correcting Errors
- Evaluating progress
- Introduction: ABA background and Pyramid Approach
- Functional Objectives
- Reinforcement Slides
- Communication and Social Skills
- Review and answer questions
- Effective Lessons
- General Teaching Strategies
- Minimizing Errors
- Collecting and Analyzing Data
- Identify the 9 components of The Pyramid Approach
- Describe conditions under which a behavior occurs
- Evaluate whether or not lessons and/or materials are functional
- Name and practice key elements of effective reinforcement systems
- List at least 4 different lessons that could be taught using a single object/event
- Create a lesson plan that contains all components of the Pyramid Approach
Who Can Benefit?
Teachers, speech-language pathologists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, psychologists, paraprofessionals, and/or parents/caregivers, adult service providers - anyone who lives or works with individuals with special learning needs.
- Please note that registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis and course fees must be paid prior to closing date to reserve a place.
- Payment of fees is not a guarantee for the event to be staged as planned. Should the event be cancelled for any reason, a full refund will be made to all registered participants and no other claims are allowed. The organizer disclaims responsibility should any change in the event occur for any reason.
- Participants to the course are not allowed to split registration for different persons.
- For 1 full day seminar, only one set of meal entitlement per day shall be given to the registered participants. For half day seminar, only coffee and tea will be provided.
- Food served will be “no pork and no lard”.
- No refund of fees for participant cancellations including medical leave but substitutions are allowed with written request to organizer at least two working days before the course commences.
- Registration will be taken as confirmed upon receipt of payment or issuance of invoice. Any cancellation will not be allowed. However, substitutions are allowed with written request to organizer at least two working days before the course commences. Please note that registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Payment must be received by due date, before attendance of training.
- All information provided in this form is accurate up to the closing date of normal registration.
Mon, 05 December 2022
Live Online Training
Donna Banzhof is a Consultant and a Senior PECS Supervisor and Trainer for Pyramid Educational Consultants. She earned a graduate certificate in Behavior Analysis from the University of North Texas and, a master’s degree in Educational Psychology from Temple University. She has been working in the special needs field since 1990 in various capacities, teacher, administrator and consultant. Her background and experience fosters creativity in consulting professionals, paraprofessionals and parents to improve the quality of life for individuals and their families. She provides consultation, workshops, and training to various schools, homes and adult services. She focuses on functional programs utilizing a comprehensive analytical approach, the Pyramid Approach to Education.