Skin cancer is one of the most common dermatological conditions seen in general practice – and it is not overly complex to manage if you have the right skill set. This certificate course has been specifically designed for time-poor general practitioners wishing to acquire the knowledge required to safely and confidently diagnose and treat commonly encountered skin lesions.
This course is the first part of the three-part Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine. The education pathway is Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine, Advanced Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine and Professional Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine.
If you choose to attend the optional practical workshop and there is cause for postponement or you cannot travel due to Covid-19 restrictions, full workshop refund, transfer or alternative learning opportunities will be available for you.
The course provides training in skin cancer medicine and teaches various techniques allowing GPs to treat more complex cases in the primary care setting. Course participants can choose to complete the course entirely online or with an optional practical workshop.
- Diagnosis with dermoscopy
- Benign and malignant skin lesions
- Melanoma management
- Punch and shave biopsies*
- Elliptical excisions and suturing*
- Topical treatment options
- Medicare billing and Clinic workflow
All topics are covered online and during the web live tutorials. *These topics are also covered during the hands-on practical sessions in the optional skills workshop. Course graduates also receive ongoing post-course support through regular alumni webinars.
The Professional Certificate of Aesthetic Medicine comprises of three parts featuring 1) flexible online learning at your own pace, 2) interactive live web tutorials with additional content and demonstrations of procedures as well as 3) an optional small group practical workshop.
- Online Lectures
- Start your online studies anytime and complete the eight modules at your own pace. The video lectures cover clinical theory, demonstrations of procedures and case study discussions and are set up in such a way that you are not required to be online at specific times but can view and replay the video lectures at your convenience. Exam extensions available to suit your busy schedule.
- Live Web Tutorials
- Reinforce your learning and ask any questions you might have in four interactive webinars with the presenters, covering real patient case discussions and additional video demonstrations of procedures that you can follow along in your office or home. The tutorials offer the opportunity to join and interact with the presenters online in real-time and can also be reviewed later.
- Optional Workshop
- To cement your knowledge, attend an optional practical workshop available at select locations across Australia. The workshops offer the ideal opportunity to apply theory in practice and are delivered in a small group setting with demonstrations and hands-on skills practice of various procedures on pork parts and simulated models under expert supervision and guidance.
Entry Requirements and Course Requisites
The Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine is the ideal starting point for medical professionals who wish to build their core knowledge in skin cancer management and acquire vital diagnostic skills and basic management techniques to provide effective care to patients with skin cancer concerns. Participants will learn proven techniques to independently and confidently diagnose and treat skin lesions in primary care.
The course is suitable for medical doctors, International Medical Graduates, nurses and nurse practitioners. It assumes no prior knowledge or training in the field, although HealthCert recommends that participants have some exposure to skin cancer management before enrolling in this course.
Participants do not have to pass an IELTS test but, as the courses are delivered in English, proficiency in listening, reading and writing in English is assumed.
For your one-off investment, you will receive unlimited access to all course content, additional learning materials, ongoing post-course support and more.
- Online pre-course activity to be completed in your own time.
- Eight online video modules to be viewed, replayed and completed at your convenience.
- All presentation slides and further learning materials available for permanent access and download.
- Instruments and consumables for practical sessions in the optional practical workshop.
- Post-course online assessment to be completed in your own time within six months of the course start date.
- Ongoing post-course support in monthly webinars with the opportunity to discuss cases with course presenters.
- Access to the HealthCert Community with additional free learning opportunities, special offers and other benefits.
In order to meet the requirements of professional and academic learning, the course assessment includes a professional requirement and two online examinations.
Develop a report/explanation of how you will use the learning from this course in your professional work.
- 88 knowledge questions based on a scenario of a medical practitioner undertaking special interest training.
- 11 per module Example: The medical practitioner believes that 10% of the population … Is he correct? Yes/No
- 100 Three-Point Checklist authentic clinical and dermoscopic images multiple choice questions – decide if each benign or suspicious (there is also a practice exam for the Three-Point Checklist where you can see the answers immediately).
The knowledge-based examination is worth 50 per cent and the application-based examination is worth 50 per cent. The overall pass mark is 80 per cent. It is therefore not possible to pass this course on knowledge alone. Knowledge must be successfully applied to patient cases in order to pass the course.
Certification and Accreditation
Upon successful completion of the course requirements, course participants will receive the Professional Certificate of Skin Cancer Medicine certificate and below points. You may also receive CPD recognition for the optional practical workshop; you will need to apply to your college, and the awarding of any CPD points will be at their discretion. To learn more about the delivery of certificates in Australia and overseas, please visit the FAQs.
Face to Face Courses
Course transfers for Face to Face practical workshops are available, subject to requests being received, in writing, a minimum of 10 business days prior to workshop commencement. Transfer requests received after 10 business days prior to workshop commencement will incur an Administration Fee of $250.
Transfers will be subject to availability in the future workshops. If the future workshop has a cost differential, that price will apply, and any additional charges will be payable at the time of the transfer request.
One workshop transfer, per course is allowed. Further transfers will be considered upon application and may be charged at 25% of a full new workshop booking rate.
Transfers for Online courses are available subject to requests being received, in writing, within 7 days of enrolment. Transfer requests received after the 7 days post enrolment will incur an Administration Fee of $200. One course transfer request, per course is allowed.
If the future course being transferred to, has a cost differential, that price will apply, and any additional charges will be payable at the time of the course transfer request.
Online Cancellations and Refunds
Cancellation and a full refund of the course fees will be provided if a request is received, in writing, a maximum of 7 days after course enrolment. Refund requests received later than 7 days after course enrolment will incur an Administration Fee of $250. Upon cancellation and full refund of the course enrolment, you will not receive a certificate or accreditation points.
Courses purchased as part of a bundle attract a discount. This discount is apportioned to the final course in the bundle in the cases of cancellations and refunds. Therefore, cancellation and refund requests of a course that have been purchased as part of a bundle are refunded based on the first and/or second course being charged at the full price rate. Any courses remaining in the bundle can be refunded provided the request is received, in writing, a maximum of 7 days after course enrolment. Refund requests received later than 7 days after course enrolment will incur an Administration Fee of $250.
Tickets:Online Only$1,124Online + WorkshopClosed
Sat, 16 October 2021
Multi Session Training
Online Lectures, Live Web Tutorials and Workshop (optional)
1/440 Collins St,
Prof David Wilkinson
MBChB MSc MD PhD DSc MRCP FRACGP FACRRM FAFPHM Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Engagement, Macquarie University
Professor David Wilkinson is a registered general practitioner and public health medicine specialist. He is the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the Macquarie University. Since 2004, David’s clinical work has focused on skin cancer medicine in primary care. He has published research papers on the topic, designed and led development of the only Master of Medicine degree in skin cancer, and helped develop and present a suite of skin cancer short courses delivered by HealthCert.
Dr Hamilton Ayres
BA, BSc, BMBS, FRACGP Skin Cancer Doctor, National Skin Cancer Centres, Monash
Dr Hamilton Ayres worked in Adelaide as a Plastic Surgery Registrar at Flinders, Repatriation General Hospital and the Royal Adelaide Hospital where his main role was the management of trauma, hand injuries and difficult skin cancers. Hamilton has obtained a Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and Certificates in Skin Cancer Medicine, Dermatoscopy and Histopathology from HealthCert and The University of Queensland School of Medicine.
Dr Simon Clark
MBChB FRCPA Specialist Honorary Lecturer in Pathology, The University of Queensland
Dr Simon Clark runs the pathology component of the postgraduate certificate courses in skin cancer medicine at The University of Queensland and lectures in the Masters of Medicine course. He has been involved in dermatopathology education for more than 20 years, training registrars in dermatology, pathology and plastic surgery. More recently he has been active in GP education. One of the best known dermatopathologists in Australia, Simon was recently appointed a visiting professor in dermatology at the Tehran University of Medical Sciences.
Mr Paul Elmslie
MBA Founder and CEO of HealthCert International
Paul is a pioneer of the sub-specialised skin cancer clinic model and has built a network of dedicated skin cancer referral centres and training facilities across Australia, including the National Skin Cancer Centres. In 2006, Paul founded HealthCert, a global organisation dedicated to improving access to skin cancer diagnosis and treatment. With over 10,000 GPs from 32 countries trained, Paul has taken HealthCert to become the world's leading skin cancer education provider for primary care practitioners.
Mr Matt Woollard
Chief Operations Officer, National Skin Cancer Centres
Born and educated in Adelaide, a true entrepreneur, Matt Woollard has run various businesses in the areas of advertising, entertainment and retail.
Matt began his career in skin cancer in 2000 as the second employee of Skin Alert. He worked alongside Paul Elmslie to grow the company to 14 skin cancer clinics throughout Australia in seven years.
Matt has worked as a consultant in education with companies like HealthCert, Notre Dame Australia, University of Melbourne, The University of Queensland, Zimmer, NSW Health and the RACGP.
Matt is now the Chief Operations Officer of National Skin Cancer Centres (NSCC). Established in 2016, NSCC builds and operates skin cancer clinics across Australia, starting out with just one centre and now expanding to eight, with another 22 scheduled to join the group.
Matt’s area of expertise in the industry is operations, based on a very strong understanding of skin cancer medicine including all aspects of Medicare in primary care.