Level 1: Intro/Intermediate Dry Needling Course (2.5 days)
An intro/intermediate course for evaluation and treatment of neuromyofascial pain and dysfunction present in both the acute and chronic orthopedic population.
Instruction will include evaluation and application of dry needling of neuromyofascial trigger points for musculature which is considered appropriate at the introductory level of training.
This course consists of a combination of online theory (and theory test) as well as a 2.5 day practical component which includes a regional anatomy review, needle demonstration followed by a large amount of hands-on supervised practical sessions.
There is also a (non-intimidating) practical test to ensure adequate transfer of knowledge to all course participants.
Trigger point dry needling (TDN) will be presented as a tool to evaluate and treat the neuromuscular system. Both the Gunn and Travell & Simons’ techniques will be discussed and demonstrated. Supporting research will be presented and discussed. Treatment safety will be evaluated throughout the course
<<<CLICK TO WATCH THE INTRODUCTION VIDEO>>>
- Define trigger points, motor banding, and neurological presentations of neuromuscular dysfunction
- Review literature supporting efficacy and treatment rationale of TDN
- Instruct application of TDN for orthopedic and neuromuscular conditions
- Review anatomy of regions to be taught in Level 1 course
- Discuss safety
- Discuss indications and contraindications for treatment
Treatable Muscles After Completion
The focus of the level 1 course is treatment for pain management and sport related injuries.
- Lumbar and Cervical Spine Including needling Multifidus
- The Hip – including Gluteals & Piriformis
- All major muscles of the Upper & Lower Extremity
- Gastroc/Soleus/Tib Ant and more
- Shoulder – including Lats, Pecs, Rotator Cuff)
- Thigh-anterior, medial and posterior
- and so much more!
Online Learning Modules
GEMt dry needling courses begin with online modules for safety, theory, and anatomy. Access to the online learning platform is provided via email once you have completed course registration. Completion of the online modules is a requirements before attending the course, and you should allow sufficient time to complete them before the course starts.
Module 1: Safety Involving:
- Safety Section from the GEMt manual
- Safety Video (23 mins)
- Needling Demonstration Video (27 mins)
- Theory test (20 mins)
Total = 1.5-2 hours
Module 2: Theory Involving
- 5 articles
- GEMt pain slides
- Chapter 1 of GEMt Manual- Introduction
- Needle Theory Video (1 hour, 15 mins)
- Neuro-myofascial Pain Video (19 mins)
- Theory test (40 mins)
Total = 4-5 hours
Module 3: Anatomy Involving
- Anatomy slides of all muscles covered in course
- Anatomy Theory test (45 mins)
Total = 2-3 hours
Total all online modules approx. 7-10 hours
A degree qualification in either:
- Physiotherapy, Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Physical Therapy or a Medical Doctor who work with patients suffering from acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions.
- You must be a registered clinician with Professional Indemnity Insurance to enter this course
- Course participants are required to act as subjects as required for the duration of the course.
- This course is not advisable for anyone who is pregnant (unless they are prepared to bring a friend willing to be needled on their behalf)
- Contact Hours: 21
- APA accredited (2009-2017) 20.5 CPD points apply
- Osteopathy Australia Endorsed Course
- Australian Chiropractic Association
Refunds, Transfers & Credits
If a course is cancelled for any reason by GEMt then as much notice as possible will be given to course participants. In this instance, course fees only will be returned in full as soon as possible. For International courses, GEMt accepts and refunds course fees in AUD. We are not accountable for fluctuations in exchange rates. NB. GEMt is not liable nor responsible for any other out of pocket expenses incurred by registrants due to course cancellations or venue changes; this may include flights, accommodation or bank fees on financial transfers.
Regions are defined as:
- Australia / New Zealand
Transfers within the same region:
If you wish to transfer to another GEMt course within the same region, the following fees will be incurred:
- Outside of 30 days of course commencement = FREE transfer to the requested course
- Under 30 days of course commencement = 25% administration charge
Transfers between regions incur the following charges:
- Outside of 30 days of course commencement = 25% administration charge
- Under 30 days of course commencement = 50% administration charge
- Outside 30 days of course commencement = 25% administration charge
- Under 30 days of course commencement = 75% administration charge
- Under 14 days of course commencement = 100% administration charge, i.e. no refund
Inability to Participate in needling.
- If for any reason a course participant is unable to take needles for the duration of the course e.g. Pregnancy / Religion / Needle Phobic/ Metal allergies… arrangements must be made to bring a friend along to take needles in their place.
- There will be costs involved to cover all catering and prior contact must be made to course co-ordinator at time of registration to arrange such payment.
Those Clinicians that have done other courses
- If you have already completed another dry needling course, you are entitled to a 50% discount on the full course fee on Australian held courses. (Not available for Essentials, Upper Limb, Lower Limb or guest courses)
Fri, 05 May 2023
Lecture and Hands-on
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills
359 Crown St, Surry Hills,
Robert De Nardis
Director & Principal Presenter
Robert De Nardis is an experienced practicing Melbourne Physiotherapist who received certification for dry needling from The Institute for the Study and Treatment of Pain (iSTOP) in Vancouver, British Columbia and has extensively utilised IMS/trigger point dry needling in his clinical practice in Melbourne, Australia.
Robert has an extensive background in two defined areas.
Firstly, as the Director of Sandringham Sports Physio, he has been involved with sporting athletes and teams at all levels, inclusive of the Sandringham Football Club (VFL) and the Melbourne United Basketball Club (NBL).
Secondly, as the Director of the Melbourne Whiplash Centre, Robert has been actively engaged in Whiplash evaluation, treatment and research since 1998. Robert’s paper with Dr Jenny Keating published in the Journal of Whiplash and Related Disorders Vol 4 (1) 2005 reveals some of the world’s best outcome results published for chronic neck pain.
Robert is a recognised expert in the field of cervical spine rehabilitation, having served as a panel member of the International Whiplash Task Force. Robert has also consulted for the UK Airforce, Fast Jet Fighter Pilot Program.
Brandon has been employed at Sandringham Sports Physio (SSP) since 2004. He has established himself as a Senior Physiotherapist and is the current Operations Manager at this facility.
Brandon has been extensively utilising Dry Needling during this time and has successfully completed the accredited GEMt Introductory and Advanced courses.
Brandon has worked with the successful Sandringham Football Club since 2005 and is involved in mentoring staff at SSP.
Brandon has travelled as an instructor for GEMt since 2008.