Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy Blended Learning Course – Level 1 lays the foundations for becoming an RO DBT Clinician. Underlying theories supporting the treatment will be taught that are essential for understanding the treatment itself and for being able to explain the treatment to clients to gain treatment commitment.
Level 1 of the Blended Learning program consist of pre-recorded webinars that teach you the basics of RO DBT. The course ends with a knowledge quiz and evaluation. You will get indefinite access to this course, there is no expiry date for accessing the materials.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Compare and contrast disorders of overcontrol with disorders of under-control.
- Evaluate the efficacy of RO DBT for clients with an overcontrolled style of coping via published peer reviewed studies.
- Compare the differences between overcontrolled and under-controlled bio-temperament and explain how these impact perception and emotion regulation strategies in social situations.
- Integrate the three components of the bio-social theory for disorders of overcontrol into your case formulization of clients.
- Use the biosocial theory script to teach the bio-social theory for disorders of overcontrol to your clients early on in treatment.
- Integrate the neuroregulatory model with the bio-social theory for overcontrolled disorders and teach the neuroregulatory model to your overcontrolled clients.
- Use body postures and facial expressions to activate neural substrates linked to social safety and reward.
- Apply the Big Three +1 Skill to activate social safety within yourself and teach this skill to your clients whenever tension is present
- Compare and assess the social signaling styles of overcontrolled and under-controlled clients.
- Identify common errors and assumptions when assessing overcontrol and apply this knowledge to your own assessment procedures.
- Use the Assessing Styles of Coping Word-Pair List to assess your own and your clients’ coping style.
- Use the OC Trait Rating scale to assess the degree of ‘OC caseness’ of overcontrolled clients.
- Compare the differences between the two subtypes of overcontrol.
- Describe and apply the RO DBT treatment structure to your own practice
- Describe the RO individual treatment target hierarchy including the five OC social signaling themes
- Apply the bio-social theory to a case example
- Use the skills manual to select appropriate treatment interventions
Target Audience and Entry Requirements: Apart from a professional qualification in a mental health or related field (e.g. psychology, psychiatry, social work, mental health nursing) there are no further prerequisites for the course. Previous training in standard DBT is not a requirement.
Content Level: Level 1 of the RO DBT Therapist Training program is delivered at the introductory/beginner level: no previous knowledge of RO DBT is required. The focus of Level 1 is on the theoretical foundations and basic principles of RO DBT.
Method of Delivery: this course consists of a series of non-interactive pre-recorded video's. You will need to have a sufficiently strong internet connection to be able to stream these videos.
Accessibility: All videos have the option to turn on English Closed Captions. If you have any questions, need help or want to discuss accessibility issues, please contact [email protected]
Knowledge Quizzes: After each module (i.e. video) you will be invited to complete a short quiz. These will be completed via your online account. You will need to answer 80% of questions correctly in order to pass and move on to the next module. You will be able to re-take the quiz up to 3 times in order to pass.
Recommended Reading Materials:
- Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Theory and Practice for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
- The Skills Training Manual for Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Clinician's Guide for Treating Disorders of Overcontrol (T. Lynch, 2018; published by New Harbinger)
These books will be used throughout the training as reference works. You will be able to download the referenced book sections from the lesson materials if you do not (yet) own the textbook or skills manual.
Conflicts of interest: We don’t receive any direct commercial support for our training company RO DBT Online B.V. However, Dr. Thomas Lynch, the RO DBT treatment developer and chief RO DBT trainer, receives royalty fees for the RO DBT Textbook and Skills Manual from New Harbinger publishers. He is married to Mrs Erica Smith-Lynch, co-owner and director of RO DBT Online B.V. and Radically Open Ltd.
Certificate/Letter of Completion: Once you have completed the entire Level 1 course which includes watching all on-demand webinars, successfully passing the knowledge quizzes and completing the evaluation, you will be able to download your certificate of completion stating 8 CE credits immediately via your account on the website. Please note: ACE and APA credit is not awarded for prerequisite reading, homework, assignments, supervision, and consultation.
Please note: The price is in US dollar
- 5 to 9 persons - 10%
- 10 to 14 persons - 12.5%
- 15+ persons - 15%
Refund, Cancellation and Grievances
This is a live interactive webinar. Please only register if you can attend live. A recording will not be made available via this registration.
If you are unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances after you have already purchased a ticket, we will issue a refund minus a 2.95% administration fee if cancelled one week before the event start date.
After that date, no refunds will be issued but we may issue a coupon code of the same value for attendance at a next, similar live event.
Pre-recorded Videos and Short Quiz
Thomas R. Lynch
Thomas R. Lynch, PhD, is Professor Emeritus in the School of Psychology at University of Southampton. He was the Director of the Duke Cognitive Behavioral Research and Treatment Program at Duke University (USA) from 1998-2007.
Dr Lynch is the treatment developer of Radically Open-Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (RO-DBT)—a new transdiagnostic treatment approach informed by 20+ years of clinical research. He is the author of the RO-DBT treatment manual titled “Radically Open- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy for Disorders of Overcontrol” as a well as the RO DBT Skills Training Manual (2018; Context Press).
Dr Lynch has been the recipient of multiple large research grants from a range of sources, including the National Institutes of Health, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression, American Foundation of Suicide Prevention, the Hartford Foundation, the Wellcome Trust, and the National Institute for Health Research. He was also the Chief Investigator of a multi- centre randomized controlled trial examining the efficacy and mechanisms of RO-DBT funded by the NIHR- Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation programme (http://www.reframed.org.uk/; Lynch).
He is a recipient of the John M. Rhoades Psychotherapy Research Endowment and a Beck Institute Scholar. He is recognized internationally as a world-leading expert in difficult-to-treat disorders; such as, personality disorders, chronic depression, and anorexia nervosa and is in frequent demand as a speaker internationally—e.g., Europe, USA, and Canada.