The Foundations in Therapeutic Play Skills course is offered in a blended format (on-line live or in-room) and is intended for practitioners who work therapeutically with children in a variety of settings and for those who would like to meet with children in a developmentally sensitive way. The foundational focus includes an introduction to the concepts of directiveness and consciousness in therapeutic play activities in addition to training in how to conceptualize a child client. Non-directive therapeutic play skills are introduced. Participants learn about play-based and expressive interventions and are invited to partake in experiential activities using miniatures, art materials and puppets. Video case examples assist in conceptualizing the play process.
The foundations certificate may be used towards the first day of the full Certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills for the designation of Therapeutic Play Practitioner (TPP) for those practitioners interested in continuing beyond this course.
- Explain the concepts of directiveness and consciousness when working with children
- Demonstrate a non-directive play intervention
- Explain when to be more or less directive when working with a child client
- Plan an intervention based on child presentation and need
- Use a case conceptualization too/Chaining
- Completion of course-work at College-level (minimum)
- Academic background is focused in the areas of Humanities, Health, Social Science, Education or Mental Health
- Relevant work experience with children and/or families
Who Can Benefit?
Practitioners working with children in a variety of settings will benefit from learning about the principles of engaging children in a play-based manner. The course will be of interest to:
- Early Childhood Educators
- Social Workers/Psychologists
- Nurse practitioners
- RMPTI awards: Certificate in the Foundations of Therapeutic Play Skills
- This training cannot be used towards Certified Play Therapist or Registered Play Therapist credentials or for Continuing Education Credit (CE)’s for CPTs or Registered Play Therapist (RPTs) with Canadian Play Therapy Association (CAPT) or Association for Play Therapy (APT).
- Exception: Those with a Masters Degree in Mental Health (or be enrolled in a Masters Degree Level program) may use the course towards continuing education upon the approval of APT or CAPT. Those who fit this criteria who attend must also write a multiple choice test at the end of the program (requirement of APT).
- CE = Continuing Education Credit
- RPT = Registered Play Therapist
- RPT-S = Registered Play Therapist Supervisor
- CAPT = Canadian Play Therapy Association
- APT = Association for Play Therapy
- Please note that registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis and course fees must be paid prior to closing date to reserve a place.
- Payment of fees is not a guarantee for the event to be staged as planned. Should the event be cancelled for any reason, a full refund will be made to all registered participants and no other claims are allowed. The organizer disclaims responsibility should any change in the event occur for any reason.
- Participants to the course are not allowed to split registration for different persons.
- For 1 full day seminar, only one set of meal entitlement per day shall be given to the registered participants. For half day seminar, only coffee and tea will be provided.
- Food served will be “no pork and no lard”.
- No refund of fees for participant cancellations including medical leave but substitutions are allowed with written request to organizer at least two working days before the course commences.
- Registration will be taken as confirmed upon receipt of payment or issuance of invoice. Any cancellation will not be allowed. However, substitutions are allowed with written request to organizer at least two working days before the course commences. Please note that registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Payment must be received by due date, before attendance of training.
- All information provided in this form is accurate up to the closing date of normal registration.
Tickets:Early BirdClosedNormal Rate$691
Mon, 12 December 2022
3 Morning Sessions
Live Online Training
PhD, RPT-S, CPT-S
Lorri Yasenik PhD, RPT-S, CPT-S is the co-founder and Director of Rocky Mountain Play Therapy Institute in Calgary Alberta Canada and the founder and co-director of the International Centre for Children and Family Law in Sydney Australia. Lorri is a registered Play Therapist- Supervisor with Association for Play Therapy (APT) and a Certified Play Therapist-Supervisor with the Canadian Association for Play Therapy (CAPT). Lorri provides child psychotherapy and play therapy and delivers national and international training related to children’s issues and specialized child and play therapies including treatment of trauma, developmental issues, children of high conflict separation and divorce, attachment, domestic violence and adjustment issues. Lorri has co-authored three books, multiple chapters and articles related to specialized child therapy and child related practice.
APT Approved Provider # 06-179