This fast-paced session will share and demonstrate strategies to support students with autism throughout their school day. Topics will include supports for setting up the classroom environment, social skills, behavioral, communication needs, and sensory needs. From the time the school bell rings in the morning to getting on the bus at the end of the day, there are so many opportunities to implement evidence-based strategies to improve student outcomes. We will also look at some free or inexpensive web-based applications or apps to support the topics. I will share stories of people with autism, what I learned, and how I use this to teach others. This will inspire everyone with a solid basis for what we do, how we do it, and why we do it! Strategies, higher expectations, and hope for a bright future!
When you look at the classroom environment it is important to consider the physical structure/boundaries creating for students to successfully access their learning. This would include furniture arrangement, use of visual supports and boundaries, use of color, lighting, seating options and much more. Social and communication go hand in hand and will be addressed by use of visuals, social stories, communication devices, video modeling, aided language stimulation and more. . Behavioral supports are all encompassing (room set up, visuals, how academics are presented, communication systems, and more). Everything a teacher does can affect the behaviors of students. I will share many effective strategies to utilize. I will share “first- then”, powerful reinforcers, looking at the function of the behavior and self-regulation At the end of this session an educator or therapist will have enough information and/or ideas to go back and make changes to their program immediately.
- Classroom environment
- Furniture arrangement
- Visual boundaries
- Desk organization
- Social Skills
- Video Modeling
- Role playing
- Expressive and receptive
- Total communication
- High tech and low tech AAC
- Aided language stimulation
- Classroom rules
- Powerful reinforcement
- Function of behavior
- Regulation system and sensory
On completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Participants will be able to identify a minimum of 3 areas to improve the physical structure of their program/classroom to improve the environment for students with autism.
- Participants will be able to identify a minimum of 3 behavioral supports to utilize with students with autism.
- Participants will be able to identify a minimum of 3 supports to enhance communication skills for students with autism.
- Participants will be able to identify a minimum of 3 supports to enhance social skills for students with autism.
Who Can Benefit?
Special needs teachers, mainstream teachers, allied educators, learning support teachers, early interventionists, parents and professionals.
- Please note that registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis and course fees must be paid prior to closing date to reserve a place.
- Payment of fees is not a guarantee for the event to be staged as planned. Should the event be cancelled for any reason, a full refund will be made to all registered participants and no other claims are allowed. The organizer disclaims responsibility should any change in the event occur for any reason.
- Participants to the course are not allowed to split registration for different persons.
- For 1 full day seminar, only one set of meal entitlement per day shall be given to the registered participants. For half day seminar, only coffee and tea will be provided.
- Food served will be “no pork and no lard”.
- No refund of fees for participant cancellations including medical leave but substitutions are allowed with written request to organizer at least two working days before the course commences.
- Registration will be taken as confirmed upon receipt of payment or issuance of invoice. Any cancellation will not be allowed. However, substitutions are allowed with written request to organizer at least two working days before the course commences. Please note that registration will be on a first-come-first-served basis. Payment must be received by due date, before attendance of training.
- All information provided in this form is accurate up to the closing date of normal registration.